Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Project #2: Inner graffiti artist unleashed

quick story. 2 years ago, while I was living at my aunt and uncle's house, they asked me to paint a mural. Yes, a real 6'x20' mural across the wall surrounding their pool. After talking with my uncle, it was decided that the middle 2 sections of the wall would depict the sun setting behind a very specific range of mountains in San Carlos, Mexico. You can see a picture of it here (It's called Tetas de Cabra, and yes, I know that means "goat boobs." I didn't name it.). The section to the right of the sunset would be the beach condos that my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins (just never my family) stay in every Spring Break. And the section on the left would be some sort of cute dolphin scene since it's common for the dolphins to swim up next to the speed boat when they take it out.

Let's get this straight. I don't paint. I've never painted any sort of real picture in my life except the little practices in 7th grade art. Graphite is my preferred medium, and I've never really branched away from it, so doing an entire mural was branching WAY out.

Well, instead of starting on the wall right away, I got distracted with life. I was doing Thoroughly Modern Millie that summer and spent a couple weeks in Austria. When I got back, I pushed it to the back of my mind, too afraid to actually tackle the project.

October rolled around, and I got started. And by "got started" I mean pressure-washed the big cement bricks. After that, I primed the whole wall, and drew out plans for the actual painting.

And then it stayed that way. Weeks turned to months. Months turned into a couple years. By that point, I still wanted to do it, and I knew my aunt and uncle still wanted it, but I was scared to even bring it up, because if I did, I'd be reminding them that I still had not done it. It was a problem.

A few weeks before coming home from BYU, I was playing around with my oil pastels, just doodling out ideas.

sunset draft

condos draft
Suddenly, it dawned on me. 

Spray paint.

 I'd been fretting and nervous about using actual cans of paint. With all the colors and all the blending and layering, that could get messy. And REALLY expensive. I arrived home determined and with a plan.

It even worked out that my aunt and uncle were in New York with their family for a week, so I could work as I pleased and surprise them when they got home.


After day 1, I was this far.




I was a little bit nervous because it just looked like a bunch of crayon scribbles, especially up close. But the more layers and colors I added, the better it looked. The mountains really made the whole thing.
Day 2
I LOVED how it was turning out, but was still really unsure of how to do the other 2 scenes. I felt like it would just look choppy and weird. The rest of the Compound inhabitants agreed. A quick call to my aunt in New York granted permission to do whatever I wanted. I love hearing that. :) So instead of doing 2 other scenes, I just extended the sunset on either side.


bottom coat of blues...


more color layering..."crayon scribble" stage

3-4 days, 22 cans of spray paint, some hallucinations from inhaling fumes, and a freakin' awesome tan later, and TADA!!!!!




I admit, I impressed myself. Who knew, right? I mean, who'd'a thought a nice girl from Mesa would end up a commissioned graffiti artist painting Tetas?! ;) yes, i'm sometimes immature. get over it. :)




Anyone want need a mural done next summer?

3 comments:

  1. Let me talk to the boss. I've got a few hunnerd feet of fence. Gorgeous!
    Happy Birthday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock. And your art does too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kar
    I love the wall and smile every time I see it (and that is multiple times a day)
    We love and miss you. Happy Birthday. --Lou

    ReplyDelete