Friday, April 27, 2012

Tour: Days 4 and 5

One again, pictures aren't edited, and you can follow the link to see all of them.

Well, we're just across the sea having the time of our lives.

Yesterday, I woke up to this.

17 mo. old Gavin Lund

You can't not have a good day after waking up and building LEGO towers with this guy. Best eva! (Not ever, because I'm British now, remember?)


Not only that, but there was sunshine streaming through the windows. Let the heavens be praised!

Once we met the bus, we drove for about an hour to Norwich and did a workshop with some students at a local school. We sang for them and helped them warm up, and then they sang a simplified arrangement of the Glee version of "Don't Stop Believing." I'm pretty sure that's when Dr. Staheli politely sat down and let us take over because he realized whatever he had to say was going in one ear and out the other of the rowdy kids and outnumbered teacher. So they taught us the "choreography," and we joined in with them. Oh well. When we asked the kids if they actually like singing, quite a few apparently didn't. So my contribution to the workshop was telling the boys that girls like boys who can sing. :) I know, I know. Real deep and life-changing, right? 

The kids waving goodbye.

After that, we went and toured the Norwich castle, and then we split up and went places. I went with a group who chose to go to the cathedral first (where they ASKED us to sing...AWESOME!), and then we did a bit of shopping. 

More little kids to play with!!! Children of the ward taking care of us. This is Sophie. She's 3.

And this is her adorable brother, Seth.

Norwich castle

Inside

Elm Street where part of Stardust, one of my all-time favourite movies, was filmed.

Good thing there are buildings on either side to hold it, right?

St. Andrews Hall - the performance venue
I came to England with only one souvenir in mind. A real fountain pen (remember my pen obsession?). I know I can find them in the states, but I wanted a real, wooden, antique, English fountain pen. Luckily, my friend Kristin shares my fascination and love for antique shops, so we found one to putter around in. And I FOUND IT! A beautiful, though very simply, wooden fountain pen, and a very heavy, brass stand for it. There was also an ink well, but it didn't match so I left it there. But I'm so happy!!! I'd post a picture, but the nice man wrapped it up very well, and I left it on the bus so I don't have to shove it in my luggage. Basically, it was the best day ever. After rehearsal at the cathedral, we ate dinner, changed, and performed. There were around 400 people there I believe, but it was a bit unnerving because I felt like the audience wasn't particularly receptive. That changed as soon as we started talking to them after the concert though, as they couldn't stop going on about how much they loved it. One lady said she hadn't felt that excited about something since her baptism. Mariah and I went home with a lovely, middle-aged widow named Shirley. Her home was small, but clean and beautiful. She has 3 grown children, and her husband died unexpectedly 4 years ago from a heart-attack during surgery to correct his spine problem. She's all by herself, and she was so excited to have us with her for the night. We stayed up hours and talked with her. Usually, we're supposed to be in bed early, but sometimes, when people need you, you just have to stay up. She told us her conversion story, all about her husband, and she showed us pictures of her grandchildren. Mariah was in tune enough with the Spirit to heed the prompting that suggested we all kneel in family prayer together with her, so we did. It was a special evening. Thank you, Shirley!

This morning, we woke up, and Shirley made us a delicious breakfast. She had us to the coach (bus) nice and early, and we started our 4 hour drive across the country to Gloucester. Luckily, I was able to get some sleep. When we arrived at Gloucester cathedral, and dragged our luggage to the appointed rooms. 


Of course, our next mission was hunting down the hallway used in filming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I knew immediately, it was which hallway it was not and which movie and which scene because Harry and Ron are standing up on a ledge laughing at the first-years getting their class schedules.  So of course We all had to take pictures. 
Lexie and I
However, I took a picture of this other hallway just in case, and I think it's actually the right one because the windows are the same. 



Look familiar? :) 


Yes, I was in Hogwarts. 

Then some of us went and found another little antique shop where I got Tressie a little porcelain doll. We then rehearsed for a bit but had to stop because the cathedral choir made up of boys and men had to start their Evensong rehearsal. We listened to them for a bit, then went to dinner, then had our concert.


 The cathedral was FREEZING so Dr. Staheli explained to the audience that we were cold and made the women in the choir put on our sweatshirts that we'd brought on stage just in case. Good thing we did. But the acoustic in there?! Oh, baby! That sound keeps going forever! Glorious! Makes me wish I was still a soprano in choir...oh well. Maybe I can convince him to move me back next year. :) 

My favorite memorial yet:
Sacred to the Memory of Sarah Morley, Wife of James Morley, Esq. of ...
It goes on to tell the story of how she died during childbirth at sea coming back to England. She  was only 29 years old, had given birth 7 times, and only had a son and three daughters still surviving. And then my favourite part:
Her husband erected this Monument to testify his grateful and affectionate Remembrance of a Wife whose exemplary virtues and amiable domestic Qualities endeared her to him beyond all that Language can express.
Is that not the sweetest, saddest thing you've ever read? To think these people were real, that this man loved his wife more than anything in the world... It's incredible. I love the relief sculpture, and the pelican in the bottom left caring for its young and the dove on the right mourning over its fallen companion. That was true love.


Tonight, Shannyn and I are with the local stake president and his family (this is part of the Birmingham mission, Mama Cole!). They have 3 daughters (their 15 year old looks like Ginny Weasley and is a prefect!!!) and one son. They also have free phone service to America, so Shannyn surprised her husband, and I surprised my mom and dad tonight. It was a fun time. And now, it's most definitely past my bedtime. Tomorrow it's off to Bath and Bristol! Woot!

Things to know about England:
1.) In public toilets, the toilet paper comes out in little squares like miniature paper towels that are hardly good for anything. So you have to take two or three at least.
2.) Yorkshire pudding has nothing to do with pudding.
3.) Isaiah is I-ZIGH-uh, not I-ZAY-uh.
4.) The temple president's name here is President F***. It's not a bad word here, and they think it's hilarious. His son went on a mission to America and had his name tags switched to just read ELDER TAGGS. Funny, yeah?

..I'll remember more later.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to talk to him on Sunday!! It sounds like you are having a great time - keep those eyes open for Elder Cole!!

    ReplyDelete