Friday, December 18, 2015

On to Bigger and Better



A lot of you know I took my last ever test at BYU last Wednesday.

Feelings were so bitter-sweet. The last 5 and a half years of my life have been the most pivotal, life-changing, spiritual, difficult, frustrating, and beautiful years. I have been so incredible blessed to take the classes I've had, to have the teachers and mentors I've had, to meet the people I have. I can't even begin to count the blessings I've experienced during my time here. I sang in the best choir under the best conductor. I had the greatest job. I met some incredible people. I've traveled and learned languages and had so many other incredible experiences. So while I'm so excited to be done with this part of my life, I'm also a little sad for this chapter to close. Like finishing the end of a great book, excited and eager to get to the end, but a little sad when it's over.

That being said, moving on has been a little crazier than we expected.

Once I graduated, the plan has been for us to stay in Utah while Tucker finishes his degree and graduates in April. After that, we were hoping for a full-time seminary teaching offer back home in Arizona, but really, we could have been assigned anywhere. I was going to start my time as a stay-at-home-mom and really focus on building up my voice studio, while participating in musical opportunities in the community. Things were smooth sailing, and everything was pointing in this direction.

On Monday, a hurricane spun in and mixed everything up, throwing shrapnel in all directions and breaking apart any semblance of a "planned" future. You know that idea that when you try to plan your life, God will remind you who's in charge and how little you have to do with anything? Yeah. That happened. And we immediately began to question everything.

Later on that same day, Tucker discovered that the last couple classes he was planning on taking are offered through Independent Study, and after a 2 minute conversation with a counselor, he was told he'd have no issues if he chose to finish his degree that way.

And then that evening, we also received an email from one of our well-loved and well-respected seminary teachers in Arizona that Tucker will be able to continue the seminary program down in Mesa. It looks like all their current student-teaching positions are filled so it might push our timeline back a little from our original plans as far as when Tucker will be eligible for full-time hire, but things should go fairly smoothly.

With all of this, we looked over our newly wide-open options and narrowed it down to the 2 most likely. At this point, staying in Utah will mean putting our life on hold indefinitely, especially with the always intended eventual move to Arizona. On the other hand, moving to Mesa will fast-forward the next 4 months of our lives but put us in a more desirable position with the ability to make decisions.

So after all that backstory (and remember, this has all happened in the last 3 days), Tucker and I have decided that we're moving to Mesa in the immediate future. Tomorrow, we drive down for the planned holiday for a few weeks, but after that we will only return to Provo long enough to pack up our 2 bedroom apartment into a moving truck and drive back down to Mesa. 

While this feels so right, and we are really excited to start this new adventure, it is also very overwhelming. There's no time to process the changes and anticipate the end. This is it. This is the end of this phase of our life. We moved up here as baby 18-yr-olds. Our initials are carved on a tree and into cement. We've walked these roads for almost 6 years. We started our family here. Our first home together. Pictures on the walls. Pleasant View First Ward. Our disgusting, broken bed. Spiders in the corners. Bringing our baby home. Walking the same path to school every day. Teaching our Primary kids. Playing in the leaves. Jumping in puddles. Singing my Junior and Senior recitals. Teaching seminary every morning at ALA.

So many wonderful adventures that have turned us into the people we are.

I cried tonight.

I cried because it was the last time I will put my baby to sleep in the room I brought her home to. I can't even count all the hours I've spent in that room, rocking her and singing to her and pleading with her to please just fall asleep.

I cried because I had to clean out my desk and computer at work. I wiped my files clean and transferred certain projects to the girl who will take over them. I scribbled a quick note to a coworker and left a treat in her desk. I said my goodbyes and laughed as they clapped for me when I reviewed where all my projects stand. Because if I didn't laugh, I would have cried.

I cried because I have to leave friends. Oh, my dear, sweet, life-changing friends. You know who you are. And don't think for a minute that I don't mean you. I'm sorry life is crazy and that we have no time for proper goodbyes. You have meant the world to me. Tucker always teases me for being loyal to a fault, but it's true. It hurts my heart so much to leave you this way, and I wish we had a thousand more hours together. Some of you picked me up and pieced me back together when I was broken. Some of you served with no thought of a return. Some of you made me laugh until my sides ached. Some of you knew to just walk in without knocking and rummage through my fridge while I worked on homework. Some of you watched my baby when I was having such a hard time balancing school and work and being a new mom. Some of you were patient and kind and guided and helped me meet my many responsibilities. Some of you taught me to be a better musician. Some of you taught me to be more Christlike through your Christlike example. Some of you became my brothers. Some of you were father-figures. Some of you showed me how to be a better wife and mother. Just know that at one time or another, I have prayed fervently to my Heavenly Father in thanks for you, personally. You have changed me. You have made me. And I will forever be thankful for you.
That being said, we will be back for a few days in January, so come help us pack. ;)




Now, like I said, on to bigger and better!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. De-lurking* to say that this really spoke to me - I'm possibly facing a very big move from another country to the U.S. at some point in the next few months and although it would be for a really exciting opportunity and would mean finally moving back to the U.S. after 4 1/2 years abroad, it's also heartbreaking to think of leaving my friends here behind. I know it will get better, but it's so hard leaving your heart in a place, isn't it?

    *I don't know you in real life, though I have a few friends who went to BYU so it's quite possible that we have a mutual friend or two.

    ReplyDelete