Sunday, April 1, 2012

Post-General Conference Spiritual High

What did you do this weekend? I know most of you spent 8+ hours learning how to become better people by watching General Conference.


I grew up watching General Conference every April and October. We'd break out the Bingo Boards and Gummy Bears to listen for words like "temple," "baptism," "missionary," or "Joseph Smith." We'd set up the pop-up tents and face them towards the TV like the people of the Book of Mormon listening to King Benjamin. On Sunday morning, Granny would bring over cinnamon rolls, and even with restless kids running everywhere, Mom always made sure to call us in to listen to the prophet talk. For most of my life, the prophet of God upon the Earth was Gordon B. Hinckley. After he died on January 27th, 2008 (I remember the exact day because I got my driving permit the next morning), Thomas S. Monson, the senior member of the remaining 14 called of God as prophets, seers, and revelators, became the new prophet, acting as a mouth piece for God to the world, holding all the authority to all the keys of the Priesthood. 


Although I have been listening to these men speak my entire life, this past weekend was especially memorable for me. One of my classes this semester is Teachings of the Living Prophets. We've spent the semester studying the lives of the 15 members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, whom we sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators of God. Learning all about them has made me see past the Apostle of God at the podium to a mortal man who loves his family and is just trying his hardest to be the best he can and serve God with all he has. 


I love that Elder Scott never fails to mention his sweetheart who passed away years ago whom he has loved since they were 17. I love that Elder Christofferson can get away using big words, hinting at his impressive scholarship, but never appears haughty. I love that President Uchtdorf is the only one who can read off the sustainings and pronounce all the names correctly, seeing as he comes from Germany. I love that Elder Perry's glasses and square jaw and thin mouth remind me of my Papa and that he still carries all the liveliness of his former life as an athlete. I love that although President Boyd K. Packer and Elder Robert D. Hales are confined to speaking from their chairs because of health problems, they don't lose one ounce of power in the deliverance of their talks. And I love how Elder Holland can deliver a fiery sermon enough to make even the best feel the need to do better and then follow the Savior's example, afterwards showing an increase of love.


But more than all of these, my experience listening to Thomas S. Monson this weekend was rather special. You see, I've spend the last few months reading his biography, To the Rescue by Heidi S. Swinton, and I can genuinely say it has changed my life. He raced carved boats down the Provo River as a boy with his cousins. He went duck-hunting with his uncle. He carried dinner down the street every evening to his grandfather. He loves dogs. He loves breeding pigeons and taking them to county fairs, a hobby his son, Tom, took over. He wrote romantic love-letters to his now wife, Frances, while serving in the Navy when they were 18. He, almost single-handedly, worked for 20 years behind the Iron Curtain in Berlin, meeting personally with the most iron-fisted Communist leaders, until one day, the Communist leaders themselves not only allowed, but were first to make the SUGGESTION that the Church builds a temple in Freiburg. This is in East Germany, people! A place where religion wasn't even allowed! Although he didn't serve a mission at 19, his life has been one of missionary work. Over the past 40 years, he has given more than 10 suits off his back per year to men in countries who have nothing to wear to church. He visits little girls, young men, and old widows who need his attention. He shows up late to meetings because he's busy tending to his sick wife. His theme of administration has been to rescue the "one," and he has lived his entire life by that message. He is an ordinary man who has simply learned to align his will with God's. I love what he said on one occasion when he'd picked 2 random people out from a crowd in Brazil to help at a temple dedication. The 2 ended up being a mother and her dying, 6-yr-old son. On the flight back, Elder Nelson asked him how he'd known to pick out the pair separately from the crowd. He responded, "I didn't know, but the Lord knew. I've learned how to respond to His promptings."




If you have any doubts whether this man is the prophet, READ THIS BOOK. If you already have that testimony, read it anyway. It never hurts to strengthen it. ;) I've probably told 10 people to read this since I finished it, and I'm going to give it to my brother to read before he leaves on his mission next year (next year?!?!?! crazytalk). That's how great it is. It will give you a desire to be a better person. It'll show you that living a righteous, good life is not a hard thing and that serving others will bring the greatest reward.


I'm sort of depressed Conference is over now. I feel like now that I'm older, Conference is so much shorter! Only two days ever six months? I can't wait for October! :)

3 comments:

  1. I read that book last year. He really is quite an amazing man, isn't he?
    I too loved Elder Holland and Elder Scott. And that story by Elder Anderson about Haiti had my whole family listening. Now that's saying something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this... I really need to read that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS you should come be in MoTab when you are 25... it makes conference even better :)

    ReplyDelete