Thursday, October 11, 2012

My "Other" Life

In honor of my freshly bandaged hands, I've decided to take a trip down memory lane. See, I was a competitive gymnast for 6+ years. I was a level 7/8 at age 12, and if I would have kept going, I really could have gone big. I was blessed with incredible coaches and learned lessons that have shaped me into the person I am.

This year, I decided I really want to get my flexibility and at least some of my strength back, so I signed up for the gymnastics class. I've had other gymnast friends tell me it's awesome, so I decided to give it a try. So twice a week, I head down to the gym and work out for an hour. Granted, 2 hours a week is nothing to the 20 hours I was putting in before, but seeing as my body still bares the scars of a gymnast (worn out ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, etc.), it's all good. The class is great because while the coaches (one of whom has been here since my dad was on the team 20 years ago) introduce basic skills to the other girls, I get to do my own work-out and help spot and teach skills. It's a lot of fun, and it's amazing the things my muscles remember. And all those muscles I forgot I had are starting to emerge from their dormant state.

This week, I started getting back my momentum on bars to where I could put skills together and actually do my old routines (minus the fly-away layout dismount....that's coming...hopefully). It's thrilling. And then I ripped, aka: the callouses on my palms ripped off. Woot. But it's all part of being a gymnast, and heaven knows I've missed it.

Last night, I remembered I'd written a couple "essays" about my gymnast days. This first one, I wrote when I was 15 about the time I won gold on floor for my level 6 routine when I was 10 or 11. It's not the best writing sample ever (I hadn't developed my "voice" yet), but it sure brings back the memories. Enjoy. :)

                                                                     Floor


A thick slab of concrete forms the foundation. Next, a layer of cheap plank-wood. Next, hundreds of stiff, metal springs fitted into little grooves carved into the layer of the plank-wood, threaded through with a year’s worth of dust, garbage, and lost socks. Over these lies another layer of plank-wood, and then a layer of foam padding three inches thick. And over it all, over the concrete, over the wood, over the springs, over the foam, over the dust, the monstrous blue carpet waits for a gymnast.
            A border of white tape runs around the edge of the carpet, limiting the dimensions to about 40 × 40 feet, or to be exact, 12 × 12 meters. The tape symbolizes a barrier; one toe out of line and the score starts dropping.
            The carpet itself? One word. Disgusting. Stains from sweat, tears, blood, vomit, stains everywhere.  Once downy soft and bright blue, the shag pile is now matted and greasy. In the far corner a perpetually damp area rots underneath a drippy swamp-cooler. During the hot summers, gymnasts discreetly congregate in this area, despite the coaches’ glares, cooling down between events. It’s probably full of some deadly mold now. The strange stench of the thick, heavy carpet is impossible to forget, especially after spending hours hyper-extending my hips in over-splits with my face smashed into the carpet. It’s bitter and musty from all the chalk in the air. It tastes that way too. Bitter.
            Along the wall to the right extends a row of mirrors, ten feet tall and longer than the carpet. They are there to show me what I do wrong.  Smiley-face stickers from the littlest gymnasts stick to the mirror. They mock me and my imperfect routines.
            A spring-board is overturned off to the side, representing the weeks Skyler and I spent learning aerials. Perfect. Consistent.  I hated those mirrors.
            The clutter is permanent. Foam cubes, leftover from an earlier game of foam tag, sit next to someone’s discarded ankle brace and bloody grips. A popped ice pack sits next to the wall, oozing goo. One more stain.
            But honestly, who cares? It is Floor, one of the four events gymnasts devote their lives to. It is a dance so precise that a tenth of a point could be the difference between first place and defeat.
Ignore the exhaustion.
I can’t breathe!
 Just run.
Last tumbling pass. Round-off back-handspring back-tuck.
Stick it.
Pose.
 One…Two…Three…Now I can breathe.
            In the corner a big red, white, and blue box with different levels places the winners. Last week I stood on top


                                                         post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment